Sunday, February 3, 2008

Dreams and the Sovereignty of God

Nearly a week straight, I dreamnt my father and I arguing...violently.

Last night I dreamnt I was with my family, visiting an East coast university, where I witness a murder, where the murderer and I made eye contact before he fled. Later, against my better judgment, we went to McDonald's for lunch; after the boys begged incessently. McDonald's was crowded, so the table we chose had remnants of another's lunch. I placed them in the trash. We were all set when a black couple in Sunday dress approached. Small talk followed; then, I notice Sarah was holding our infant. The man went to kiss my wife's breast. I stared the man in the face and stood up, telling him to leave. He was defiant, when his wife said, "forget about it, he's crazy", then she complimented my on my intuition concerning his insanity. I said, "It's nothing, just a gift I have".

Suddenly, four other black men approach, in street garb, when one hands me two keys, both to Mercedes. He demands I bring them to the front of the restaurant; otherwise, he threatened to take my family's life. He mumbles the car's location in the parking garage as we exit.

Walking to the garage, my wife starts to cry, asking, "What was that all about?" I mumble some negative retort, but then tell her and the boys to stay put. I run for the garage, and make about 100 yards of progress, trying to rember the locations of the cars, when another black man jumps on the up ramp, yelling "That's him, in the yellow!" Then, others climbed the ramp, all black, an start after me.

I awoke.


Like millions of people, dreams help me define mystery. St. Augustine thanked God daily that he (Augustine) was not responsible for his dreams, or he would surely burn in hell. I think that in some part, we are responsible. We may not be able to filter every experience that contributes to the delinquency of our dreams, but some we can: movies, conversations, and our meditations. There are others, I am sure; but, I don't want to take the time to think of them now. So, dreams and the 'real' life, lead me to think of the sovereignty of God and the will of men.

I am inclined to believe God always has a plan, and his plans are always rooted in the love he has for me and his creation. God is love, and God is sovereign---two of my first principles, by which all my rational contructs rest.

I am running out of time, so I will be as breif and clear as God allows. Dreams, to me, represent one of many beautiful marriges between the mystery and the known. We can influence dreams, but dreams do as they please.

1 comment:

Sundance said...

Not to offer unsolicited analysis, but as you know, I love to wax intellectual about dreams, so...

East Coast U? Crowded McDonald's? Are you sure me and Gary P weren't there? Ha. Anyway -

In the first part, you mention eye contact with evil/bad people twice. I see that as an obvious strength you possess that is not common. Your second encounter has you literally standing up to it. You opened with talk about dreams about your father, but no mention of him in this dream. I humbly suggest that you inherited the strength to look the devil in the eye from your father. You were even praised by the woman (and we could spend all day on who/what the female archetype represents, but shortly: goodness). Don't think I didn't laugh to myself when you replied "It's nothing, just a gift I have".

The couple was dressed for church, yet the man was not acting in accordance. Wolf in sheep's clothing/evil trying to use your faith in church as a weapon for your submission? (A ploy that may work with a young zealot, but you've faced Druids for God's sake.)

If I didn't know you had been everywhere in the world from building mud huts for the impoverished to soul searching in Nepal, I might get hung up on the races in your dream. But, my best unqualified guess would be that the significance of blacks would be as "people you don't see everyday where you live".

The other half of the dream seems to deal with outsiders extorting you into illegal activity to the tune of your family's welfare. What husband does not know this dream? That though, is not to minimize it. You may gain insight by looking to why it came at the time it came. Maybe you have an offer in front of you that your heart knows the outcome but the mind wants to believe otherwise?

Some say that if you dream of escaping, you're dreaming of overcoming a current challenge. In your dream, you are found out in your illegal activity. Apparently you're the only white guy wearing a yellow shirt in a world of black people, so you're probably caught "red handed".

Also, extortion is fear, fear is a tool of the devil.

But who knows?

I have dreams of arguing with my dad. It's usually when I have put off talking to him and it's overdue.

During influenced meditations, I've also had "visions" of intense arguing with my dad.

I take those messages as:
a) My subconscious fabricating "what he would say".
b) God revealing a reality that exists and at the same time does not exist in relation to our "incorporate" perception.
c) As you know, both.

Now that I've publicly posted one of many of my crazy thoughts, let me close by saying:

"Water, it's your greatest liquid asset!"